As you may have figured out by now, I really love enchiladas. I love the texture, the flavors, and the endless variations possible with this one dish! When I have the time I like to go full on enchilada (pop over to my recipe for Chicken Enchiladas with Homemade Salsa Verde for a more traditional enchilada recipe), but sometimes when time is tight I switch it up by making this super simple Enchilada Pie. It has all the flavors and ingredients of regular enchiladas, just in a layered casserole format!
Look at that cheesy goodness. Served up with a dollop of sour cream and fresh cilantro, it’s exactly what you need any night of the week!
I like to make this recipe with ground turkey since it’s a bit leaner, but ground beef will work just as well. In that case there’s no need to add the Worcestershire sauce since you have plenty of meaty flavor from the beef already. It may seem strange to add Worcestershire sauce, but it’s a trick I picked up to give a bit more of a meaty flavor to ground turkey (thanks mom!).
I’ve also experimented with adding more veggies into this recipe, you can essentially make whatever meat (or non-meat) mixture you want to go in between the layers of tortillas, sauce, and cheese – just make sure to cook down whatever mixture you make so there’s not too much moisture, otherwise your pie may be a bit soggy. Things I’ve added include chopped mushrooms, corn, and beans.
I had to dig in during the photoshoot, the smell was too enticing to resist!
This can be made with homemade or store bought enchilada sauce. You could also switch it up and use a green enchilada sauce, the power is yours!
So I hope you enjoy my recipe for Enchilada Pie!
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 yellow onion, chopped (about 1/2 c.)
- 1/2 lb. ground turkey (or beef)
- pinch salt
- pinch black pepper
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce (omit if using ground beef)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp. coriander
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- 1-2 tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped (or 1/2 tsp. dried cilantro)
- 4 8" tortillas (normally labeled "Soft Taco Tortillas")
- 1 1/2 c. enchilada sauce
- 1 1/2 c. grated cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped (optional for serving)
- Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 2-3 minutes until the onions are starting to be translucent and brown on the edges.
- Add ground meat, salt, and pepper and cook 5-6 minutes until almost done, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon as it cooks.
- When meat is nearly done, add Worcestershire sauce (if using), coriander, cumin, and garlic. Cook another 1-2 minutes until meat is cooked through.
- Remove from heat and stir in cilantro.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- To assemble pie, pour 1/4 c. enchilada sauce in the bottom of a pie plate or other round casserole dish. Top with a tortilla, 1/3 of meat mixture, 1/4 c. cheese, and 1/4 c. sauce. Repeat for 2 more layers (tortilla, meat, cheese, sauce). Top with last tortilla, remaining sauce, and remaining cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until brown and bubbly. Top with fresh cilantro (if using) and serve.